Wednesday, April 18, 2007

How long will it take?

Today, the VW Bug wasn't running right. I took it in first thing to the dealership to have the service department fix it. Not that I could tell you (or them as it turned out) what needed fixing. The service rep came out with his clip board and listened patiently while I tried to explain in my layman's language what my bug was doing. "It's running louder than it was before and sometimes there's a slight shake," I said. "Uh Huh," he said. "But not all the time" I said quickly. "When you let off the gas it stops." "The car?" he asked. "No, the loudness and the shaking...sort of stops...sometimes..." I trailed off. He looked at me for a moment and said "No problem. We'll fix you up." I have to admit, right up front, I asked my next question without thinking. "So how long do you think it will take?" After my crystal clear explanation of the precise nature of the mechanical failure(s)(?) of my car, anyone should have been able to give the precise time and cost to fix my problem...ya' think? Not. The thought must have crossed his mind that I was a complete dufus about cars. However, he was very gracious and politely said it would take time for the service department to diagnose the problem. He would call me as soon as he recieved word from the techs.

Our lives can be like this little drama of mine this morning. Life can get us all out of kilter, where things are not horrible, but not quite right either. We just seem to be unable to connect or we feel slightly on edge. Often, we look for the quick fix....night out on the town...round of golf...little shopping...or another favorite past time. Or perhaps, we get us a quick "spiritual" boost by cranking up our favorite christian music or having a good philosophical discussion about biblical issues with our religious friends. Which are not bad things to do, but may not be addressing what's "out of line" in our life. Getting "busy" may very well blind you to what God is trying to tell you or to do in you. Perhaps your feelings of unrest are God's way of saying "Be still and know that I am God". Time spent in reflection, introspection, searching the Word or in prayer may be the very thing you need to do to reveal what needs "fixing" in your life. "How long will it take?" God will let you know.

In Him, Jeff

1 comment:

Bandude said...

I think that sometimes we don't know when things will get better but don't be discouraged.Because in the bible it talks about Job and how his sons and dauhters were
killed and his crops were burnt but
he still beleived in God even after
his wife told him to curse God and
die.But he never did,he was never
discouraged even after all those terible things happened to him.So be like Job.